Wed, 25 May|
Meeting Design Masterclass: How to run great meetings
Time & Location
25 May, 13:00 – 16:00 BST
About the Event
Meetings can be fun, energetic and productive.
It might not be a common opinion, but this provocative masterclass will prove it!
Why do people hate meetings? Most of them are crowded, unfocused and unorganized. People talk over each other and inevitably there’s someone there who hijacks the discussion. Plus, there are just too damn many of them.
Most of the time, people are just counting the minutes so they can “get back to work,” as if meetings are somehow disconnected from the actual work that they’re forced to spend so much time meeting about.
Does this sound like your organisation? Well, here's our secret.... whisper it, but it doesn’t have to be this way!
Good meetings are possible. And, studies show that, once you make the decisions to improve your meetings, there is a proven positive effect on:
- Personal wellbeing
- Team spirit and team performances
- The organisation’s image as perceived by the employee
“If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at, change.”
All of this is only possible if we change the way we look at meetings, both when planning and attending.
Rather than looking at meetings as paid chit-chat or, in worse-case scenarios, chaos, we need to appreciate them as collaborative spaces where we can engage, listen and brainstorm around common challenges and unleash the collective intelligence of the group. Meetings should be something we enjoy because humans are social beings hard-wired for engagement with other humans.
So, what’s the secret?
The shorthand version of the answer is perception, preparation and organization.
The details and the process are what you’ll learn at this masterclass.
The masterclass consists of two three-hour sessions offered at a special introductory rate of £299. Part 1 of the masterclass will be delivered on Wednesday 25 May 2022, 13:00-16:00 (BST). Part 2 will be delivered two weeks later on Wednesday 8 June 2022, 13:00-16:00 (BST). The time in-between the two sessions will allow you to practice the skills you have learnt in some real-life work meetings, before reporting back to Rob and the other participants and discussing how you can further improve your meeting design and management skills.
This is a highly interactive masterclass built on state-of-art insights and robust practical strategies.
Session 1 - Wednesday 25 May 2022, 13:00-16:00 (BST)
- Intro: A different way to look at meetings: anchors for transforming your meetings, the meeting triangle, patterns of a highly effective meeting, a decision making approach, classic meeting frustrations, meeting biases, a new definition of meetings.
- Part I: Warming up: preparation is key. We discuss the importance of meeting objectives, how to create more meeting-flow with an exciting agenda, team composition, time locks and the Meeting Design Cards(©).
- Part II: The game. We discuss the serious game of meetings and how to frame any discussion with the unique Meeting Design Cards(©), getting more productive in less time. We also focus on the role of Chair in meetings - requiring a stewardship-mindset, to unleash the collective intelligence of the whole group.
- Part III: The cooling down. Ending without firm decisions and actions leads to getting detached from the outcome quite soon afterwards. We all meet to take decisions together, otherwise why would we meet? But how can we incorporate the wisdom of the minority? You really should stop taking minutes, but how do we capture the main solutions and actions in a deliberate way?
Session 2 - Wednesday 8 June 2022, 13:00-16:00 (BST)
- Reflection: How did you utilise the skills you learnt in session 1 over the last two weeks? What did you learn from this experience? What worked well? What challenges did you encounter? A chance to discuss these real-life experiences with Rob and the other participants in the masterclass, and to focus on how you can further improve your meeting design and management skills.
Meet the speaker
Rob de Haas - Making the world a better meeting place
Rob de Haas is a change leader. He is a world-leading authority on creating more effective and creative meetings. His mission is to make the world a better meeting place. In support of his mission, Rob has trained and inspired more than 25,000 people worldwide. He is the inventor of a set of Meeting Design Cards (©), software for the collective brain, enabling everyone to design practical and inspiring meetings. Rob frequently speaks at universities and conferences on topics such as creativity, happiness, high team performances and effectiveness that ensure a better meeting culture. As a motivational speaker, Rob has traveled all over the world, living his mission to make the world a better meeting place as a professor, as a speaker, and as a change advisor. His cognitive work extends to a wide variety of national and international organizations, including: Seats2Meet, Heinz International, Difrax, Hudson, Unox, Dress for Success, United Through Sports, National Olympic Committee, Brainport Eindhoven, Woonmeij, Dutch Design Week, Den Bosch Data Week, RABO Bank Nederland, Tribal Internet Solutions, Microway, CBRE Real Estate, Post NL-IT Group, Oliver-IT, and several national and local governments.